Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thing #21 Student 2.0 Tools

How might the RPC and the Teacher Guide help you help students plan and manage research projects?

I don't work with students (except my own children), but I think it would take a little training to get the most out of this tool. Once they used it a couple of times I think they would continue using it.

The more mature student is likely to see the benefits of this tool. The organized, responsible student would gravitate towards it more quickly than the habitual procrastinator. For many students the problem isn't that they forget about projects, it's that they don't want to do them and avoid them. For these students the thought of adding another step to a project would not be appreciated.

This kind of tool would be best suited towards a student who is discombobulated, a hard working student who just isn't organized. The teacher would probably need to set aside some class time to help the student enter the correct dates, etc. and should probably look over the settings and everything before the project starts. The well organized responsible student would probably be the student most likely to adopt the tool because they enjoy being organized.

Can you think of any uses for library projects—could you use it to help manage a timeline for a project of your own?

I have a project that I need to plan. I added it to the calculator and found I have 99 days until the final date. It's not a paper so all of the information about sources and citing doesn't apply. I'm not sure if this is the best tool for the job, but I do like the thought of setting up automatic reminder emails. I could do that through my Google Calendar though;)

No comments:

Post a Comment