Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thing #20: Books

About 10 years ago I was told by a boss that I could start getting rid of all of the books since they would all be online soon anyway. I didn't. But I've been reading some of your blogs and a few of you seem surprised that some people are calling for the end to print media. It is true. Right now just about every newspaper in the country is working on a plan to go fully online in the not so distant future. The main reason is paper is expensive.

What are you observing in your library about books and reading?

I'm not in a library setting, but I know that my family and friends are still reading books. I have a pile of books that I will get to! On a recent trip to visit friends and family I brought 2 thick books with me. I was given 2 good size books as gifts while I was away. My luggage was pretty heavy and now that they charge extra I was nervous. I stuck 2 of them in my carry on. For the first time Kindle was looking really good to me. I think it would have been lighter and more manageable.

I am planning to go to the Alachua County Friends of the Library book sale and buy a large number of books. Even though my husband says we have no room for more bookcases.

Do you think these Book 2.0 tools hamper or enhance one's reading experience?
I think 2.0 book tools should only enhance reading. If one of them hampers you stop using that tool and find another.

For instance I would not read a book on my phone unless I was stranded on a desert island.

I do not read book reviews at all. I do not want anything added or subtracted from the content of the book as the author intended it to be read. If it is a translation or it is from a different period and there are words or actions that require a note that's fine, but otherwise please let the author speak to me. I will decide for myself what I like and what I don't. I find that critics are oftentimes biased.

I read a book and then I am finished with it. I don't belong to book groups or discussions. I find that while many readers enjoy ruminating over every last detail - I don't. I mainly read for ideas, inspiration or a chuckle. But I'm also the kind of person who watches a movie once - I know people who watch the same movies over and over again and quote from them - they usually go right over my head.


Which of the sites/tools did you visit?
I visited all of the sites.

What are the appealing features?
I think there were many. Finding books to recommend based on someone's taste is a requirement for a librarian. Once someone finds out I'm a librarian they immediately ask me for a recommendation. If the person is a relative stranger this would help me.

Many people book swap. I tend to pass mine along to friends and family and pass my kids' books to their younger cousins.

Any features seem unnecessary or just there "because"?
With all of these Things there are portions I will probably never use, but I've been surprised that others really like those same features. To each his own!

Do you know of other tools around books and reading we should know about?
No, I've included all I know and then some. But I'd be happy to learn more from the rest of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment