Monday, March 2, 2009

Thing #14 Online Productivity Tools

Which start page did you choose?

I use iGoogle. I love my museum art tour, Monet, and Bible quote of the day. I like to see the weather where my family lives so I can laugh. I look at my rss feeds on that page. I have also added a ToDo list, but so far it's just annoying. I don't think it will last long. I complete the tasks and then forget to delete them and they stay there.

I just started playing with Google Calendars. I will now get a reminder of my brothers' birthdays for the next 30 years.

Why did that one appeal to you?

Sad, but true I'm already on Google everything else so I thought I use iGoogle. It goes along with my gmail. I can read my mail when the page opens and see any new mail that comes in.

Will you make it your permanent home page?
It has been. So far no problems, so I'll keep it.

Did you find a tool that has some uses for you at the library or at home?

I like the countdown widget. I usually send out emails to my sister telling her how many days till Christmas or until we go on vacation, mostly just to be a nudge. Her 3 kids are younger than mine and she can't think that far out. (I also send out her Christmas card the day after Thanksgiving every year.)

A better use for that tool would be to build excitement for a program or a new building opening.

Which tool(s) would you recommend to others?

There was nothing I couldn't live without, but I think when you're used to doing things the old fashioned way it takes time to embrace new habits. That being said I think it's good to know these things exist.

I looked at lifehacker and somehow ended up watching a couple of videos on cooking in the depression with a woman named Clara who is in her 90's. I'd recommend her series of videos if you have time. She talks about how they had no icebox and used to keep their food buried in the snow outside.

I also ended up doing part of a yoga practice through lifehacker. It appears anything can happen to you as you go to that site! I finally stopped when I got myself into a position where I couldn't see the computer screen and wasn't able to follow just by the verbal instructions.

How can the online calendars be useful to you?

I'm just starting to use one so I'm not sure if it will be useful or not. I am a Franklin Covey fan and have used his calendars for years. We'll see if I can transition.

What about the to-do lists—helpful, too much work…?

I think the to do lists are too much work. I'm sure my husband would love that the Remember the Milk site says with this tool I can, "Remind your significant other to do their household chores." I think it would be fun to try the Remember the Milk and send my husband reminders. I don't know if he would think it was fun though.

I can simply create a list on a piece of paper. Although I guess if I were collaborating with someone else it might make sense so they could see what has been done and what still needs doing.None of the sites mentioned the number one reason to make your list online, as far as I'm concerned, which is you won't misplace your list.

I may be planning an event soon and I'm seriously considering using backpack to organize it.

Did you try out Backpack?

I am considering using backpack to coordinate a family vacation for 18 members of my family. We all arrive at different times, by different means and this way we would all be able to access each other's plans. We each take a night to cook dinner for the clan and this way we could see the menus. I also try to babysit for my nieces and nephews and this way everyone could see my schedule.

I think it's interesting enough to try. If it doesn't work all I've done is opened another account and performed an experiment. If it works it would help me integrate my plans with those around me. Hopefully making us all more efficent and that makes me happy:)

What did you think?
It seems like it would work if everyone would commit to using it. It might take a little arm twisting, we are used to sending emails. But I think it may be more efficient.

Did you try any of the other tools in the list?

I watched the tours of Zoho Project, Basecamp and Backpack. I think I would use Backpack because it's free. I don't like signing up for trials and then getting harassed about signing on for membership.

They all seem to do more or less the same thing. I'm sure if you used them all there would be subtle differences.

I find it interesting that kids today are working in teams and with partners more than we used to and think they will be the ones who take this kind of concept to the next level.

Any good ones we should all try?
We should give Clara's poor man's meal a try. Hot dogs and potatos O'Brien.

No comments:

Post a Comment